Tuners Of Los Angeles
Welcome to TLA! If you are a new user be sure to check the TLAID Database for your TLA Identification Number! This can be used to meet new drivers on the street as well as score discounts from some of the local performance shops and vendors! Thank you.
Tuners Of Los Angeles
Welcome to TLA! If you are a new user be sure to check the TLAID Database for your TLA Identification Number! This can be used to meet new drivers on the street as well as score discounts from some of the local performance shops and vendors! Thank you.
Tuners Of Los Angeles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for all the tuner drivers and enthusiasts from the Los Angeles County area and our neighboring cities.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Ls? Lt? Lm? etc?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
I.Scrape

I.Scrape

Ls? Lt? Lm? etc? Empty
PostSubject: Ls? Lt? Lm? etc?   Ls? Lt? Lm? etc? EmptyMon Apr 11, 2011 10:53 pm

Lets get a little discussion going.

I think this is where taylor would shine

So i know some of you, or perhaps just me, have an idea of a future project.
Mine in particular might involve a nice Ls1 swap. Until taylor introduced the LM7 into my llife.

so thoughts?

Price?
Power?
parts? are they easy to find?
are most of these parts universal to one or the other?

common taylor chime in.
Back to top Go down
Displacement

Displacement

Ls? Lt? Lm? etc? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ls? Lt? Lm? etc?   Ls? Lt? Lm? etc? EmptyMon Apr 11, 2011 11:55 pm

>Very Happy

Here are your options when selecting from the gm family of power plant v8s

Starting from the newest is the ls series motor
THere is a major aftermarket for this series of motors, most parts are interchangable and they all respond very well to bolt ons

There is the ls1 350ci 5.7around 300 rwhp factory and with full bolt ons you can easily make around 400 throw in a nice little cam maybe some headwork and ur already onyour way to 500, this is all with stock internals mind you
these are found nearly everywhere. camaros several pontiacs, corvettes, and more. do a look up wiki has the full list.

ls2 is a 6.0 L engine bore and stroked ls1 and is about the same just a better starting point. No replacement for displacement. but starting almost at the 400rwhp is a defineite plus found in some corvettes and the 6.0 gtos specifically 05 and 06 i believe

ls3 is a rather new engine design in the new camaros and corvette
its a 6.2l and it sports new design heads that improve flow over older engines, These things make loads of power and are more preicey. There is less cheap aftermarket stuff for this one because the parts on it are hard to top without going super high end race parts.

ls6 is an ls1 with a top end kit, intake head and cam. it makes about 50 more than the ls1, and i believe it has a slightly different water jacket and revised block. These are found in corvettes. mainly

the ls7 are found in zo6s they are a 6l 427 all alluminom engine. Underratedly push around 500, with a crazy CR ratio of above 12 if memory serves, possibly as high as 13.1
These are super high horse applictation, and without lowering the compression or running water meth or race fuel are difficult to apply force induction, but when its done right, these will make 1000+ hp without even trying

ls9 are the ls3 with a "?paxton? charger? some kind of supercharger, non intercooled.
They make awesome power, but again expensive
Camaros
Some Vettes
caddilac ctsv

There is another series of gm engines still being produced that are often igrnored
the truck engines they have

There is the lq9 6.0 L exactly same as the ls2 only 200 lbs heavier and with a different intake, oil pan, and iron block making this thing ideal for HIGH application drag racing and making tons of power. A nice turbo can be bolted on, and make around 500hp for a very fair price 2500 silverados and other 2500 series trucks

lq4 is the same as above made slightly older and has a lwoer compresssion ratio. Better application for boost, slightly less power, and cheaper.

lm7 is a 5.3 L found in most chevy trucks. It is one of chevys most effecient bang for the bucks engines they have
They can be had for as cheap as 500 dollars complete and running. For the price of around 1500 inlcuding the engine these engines can make around 400rwhp thru a manual trans. This is the budget swap rebuild power maker. They are reliable and on stock internals with a proper tune, I'd say handle around 350-450 rwhp. Comp is sorta low, good for boosting. I'd recomend a magna charger or rear mount blower like the STS
They are awesome really trust me, I had one, with 0 problems under good maintencnce.

There is also an all aluminum lm7 but are harder to find.

LT1 is the generation of v8 that came before the ls from 92-97 or so. They are great designs just gm over thorught the whole thing and made it a little bit too complex.
This is what I'm running now.
They make awesome mid range torque and work amazingly well with boost due to the steel block and strong crank. The weak point are the cast pistons. a rebuilt 383 forged bore stroked lt1 with some head work can make upwards of 450 and with boost up to 800 with the right size snail.
They have a high CR of 10.5-1 and it uses reverse cooling system to help keep the heads cool, thus being able to run higher CR
they make around 275 RWhp and bolt ons usually puts them around 300rwp and 350tq
There are lots of kits out there to make these things run.
These are found in all the large gm cars, corvettes and camaros

There is also an lt4, which is an lt1 with a top end redo, better breathing ports, bigger valves, and a gm hotcam.
these make alot of pwoer around 350rwhp opposed to the rated 330

There is also an lt5, this is a 32Valve motor designed by lotus for the ZR1 Corvettes. Its 350 CI and thats about all that it has in common with the rest of the engines gm makes. Its a DOHC and makes upwards of 400 often around 500rwhp with minor mods. Its a golden power plant but hoenstly good luck finding one of these. Belongs in a museum

And of caorse prior to this is an l98
Earlier fuel injection of the 80s
The 350 CI TOOONNNNNSSS of low end torque, but the intake is very restrictive leaving the engine suffurcating past 4500 rpms.
There are special intakes you can get to make this engine strong. theyre cheap and can make good power with the right combos. These engines take a lot of planning so be weary. upon treading these waters.

and of coarse prior to this is the infamous SBC small block chevy
4 inch bore blocks come in either 4 bolt or 2 bolt main
there are a variety of strokes they come with and within the aftermarket get as big as 4.2in bore and 7 inch crank with clearencing these are around 409 CI
there is alot you can do with these, easy to make power and sound awesome. limitless in realiaty but if an application can be fitted with one of the above engines, you may find less simple things going wrong, and better reliability, how ever the abundinceies and simplisty of this engine make it a good choice for a beginner engine modder.

there is also the BBC big block chevy
396 427 454 502 and 572 and each of their variants.
these things are big heavy brutes that make loads of torque. Im talking some of these make upwards of 500 factory and the 572 making above 600 out the crate, only available from GMPP and some other engine builders, they can easily make 750 rwhp tq without even trying.

So there you have it.
Thats the gm v8 source.
They do have other engines here and there like the grandnational set up with the turbo v6 and a few v10s and their diesels, but the engines listed are the ones you will probably be working with.

I did this quickly so there are many spelling errors, and if any info is wrong, feel free to correct me. If you want more detail on any gm stuff just let me know.

ALSO
trans often used
Manual
tremec 5 speed
tko500 and 600 high power 5 speed
t56 found in camaros and vettes and a few others, most commonly used, great gear ratios aftermarket parts available and strong trans
there are other just those r pretty common

AUTO
700r4 or 4l60e pretty much the same basic auto trans avaialable
4l80e stronger version slightly diff ratios
th350 not many moving parts, can handle around up to 400 rwtq with full traction (this means major slicks perfect launch above 400 youll need some stronger parts)
th400 450--Infinate rwtq these things are incredible more moving parts thus more heat loss, but these things are very strong, slightly larger and still abundant. often in trucks. great drag trans and also can be converted to manual shift.
power glide- 2 speed trans. 17? moving parts? very effeceint 2 gears drag race trans
Back to top Go down
I.Scrape

I.Scrape

Ls? Lt? Lm? etc? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ls? Lt? Lm? etc?   Ls? Lt? Lm? etc? EmptyTue Apr 12, 2011 12:04 am

Greattt info

now, if i were to do a budget swap in lets say a 240.. Lm7 looks like the best budget setup, would i have to make custom oil pan or intake manifold? I feel like the whole powertrain is reallly tall and would have an issue fitting in that small car. would a T56 be an easy bolt on aswell?
Back to top Go down
Displacement

Displacement

Ls? Lt? Lm? etc? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ls? Lt? Lm? etc?   Ls? Lt? Lm? etc? EmptyTue Apr 12, 2011 12:14 am

I.Scrape wrote:
Greattt info

now, if i were to do a budget swap in lets say a 240.. Lm7 looks like the best budget setup, would i have to make custom oil pan or intake manifold? I feel like the whole powertrain is reallly tall and would have an issue fitting in that small car. would a T56 be an easy bolt on aswell?

for a 240, id suggest picking up a lm7 out of a yard, the best one with the least miles as close to home as you can find. 00-02 are the older ones try getting 03+ they sometimes have bigger injectors (flex fuel motors) and do make more power thru effeciency

What you'd need to do, is swap accesories with either a corvette, gto or camaro. accessories, ie alternator, powersteering ect.

They cost the same and can often get an even deal/swap for the accessories that come on your engine.

You'll need to pick up a lower profile intake I'd look for one off an ls6 but an ls1 or ls2 intake works also
There is also a company that makes intakes called F.A.S.T. they make intakes and these intakes are tailored to your individual application. You often pick up a good amount of ponies from their intakes.

The oil pan is also a little to big, But one from a camaro or corvette or gto again will fit fine. Of coarse you can go after market which a variety of companies can supply you for a lower profile pan, maybe moroso?

Besides that I'm sure there are existing motor mounts, already made to fit the ls1 motor. These mounts will work. GM also has the same bellhousing bolt pattern for all of their engines. so feel free to use any trans you can get your hands on.

Id recommend getting a late model camaro's t56 trans and figuring out the dimensions before picking your mounts. There are different offsets and shifter position or engine position can varry. Obviously you want it as low and far back as possible, and may be able to get away with a pretty good setup with the required research.
Back to top Go down
I.Scrape

I.Scrape

Ls? Lt? Lm? etc? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ls? Lt? Lm? etc?   Ls? Lt? Lm? etc? EmptyTue Apr 12, 2011 12:32 am

good stuff from taylor as always. cheers
Back to top Go down
Displacement

Displacement

Ls? Lt? Lm? etc? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ls? Lt? Lm? etc?   Ls? Lt? Lm? etc? EmptyTue Apr 12, 2011 12:37 am

Thanks man, I need to get this info out its all bottled up all the time.

Anyone has any Q's on GM domestic stuff, I'd be more then happy to try and apply my knowledge.
Back to top Go down
SillyBilly

Ls? Lt? Lm? etc? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ls? Lt? Lm? etc?   Ls? Lt? Lm? etc? EmptyWed Apr 13, 2011 2:36 am

Just a thought, since you don't seem opposed to a domestic motor in your 240, The GM Ecotec family of motors are quite reliable, and are easy to build.

Personally i have an LSJ in my Cobalt SS, and it's not too shabby.
Back to top Go down
I.Scrape

I.Scrape

Ls? Lt? Lm? etc? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ls? Lt? Lm? etc?   Ls? Lt? Lm? etc? EmptyWed Apr 13, 2011 12:36 pm

That actually sounds interesting, its something different.

and im pretty much clueless about the ecotec motors out there..Enlighten me Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Displacement

Displacement

Ls? Lt? Lm? etc? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ls? Lt? Lm? etc?   Ls? Lt? Lm? etc? EmptyWed Apr 13, 2011 8:49 pm

Well To be honest I wasnt very familiar on ecotec motors, I knew of their existance but thats all.

I did some basic research and found that there are a few engines that make pretty healthy power, however personally, I feel like they are over worked and too complicated. Especially if it was for a swap.

The ls series of motors has a huge aftermarket and can make loads of power for cheap, and is readily available, all while being relatively light (aluminum)

Ecotec motors are also very light but dont have quite as big the following, nor availablity.

There is some good stuff, and itd be unique, but my final decision is if not going with GMs v8 design, for a 240, stick with something like an sr20 or ka24det, itd b easier and just as reliable, with probably a lower price tag.
Back to top Go down
SillyBilly

Ls? Lt? Lm? etc? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ls? Lt? Lm? etc?   Ls? Lt? Lm? etc? EmptyWed Apr 13, 2011 9:04 pm

Displacement, i'd suggest looking around on offroading, and dirt track sites, the 2.2 Ecotec is EXTREMELY popular in sandrails and custom off road vehicles. They came in cavaliers, s-10's, malibu's, cobalts, essentially any late model GM within the last 5 years with a 4 cylinder engine.

They are easy to work on, even with the DOHC, and are quite robust. They are easy to turbocharge, and GM offers supercharger kits. I love me a pushrod v8, but i'm just throwing out another option.

I doubt any engine family has the aftermarket support the LS series does, but i wouldn't rule out the Ecotec Wink
Back to top Go down
Displacement

Displacement

Ls? Lt? Lm? etc? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ls? Lt? Lm? etc?   Ls? Lt? Lm? etc? EmptyWed Apr 13, 2011 11:44 pm

I honestly had no idea that the ecotec was soo common, I bet the small size was of great benefit.

I would defintly not rule it out but I guess Im a die hard v8 fan.
Back to top Go down
I.Scrape

I.Scrape

Ls? Lt? Lm? etc? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ls? Lt? Lm? etc?   Ls? Lt? Lm? etc? EmptyThu Apr 14, 2011 12:55 am

Displacement wrote:
I honestly had no idea that the ecotec was soo common, I bet the small size was of great benefit.

I would defintly not rule it out but I guess Im a die hard v8 fan.

we all know your a diehard v8 fan..

i myself love forced induction which is why the ecotec thought caught my attention. any ideas how to bold it up to a rwd trans?
Back to top Go down
Mofofernando

Mofofernando

Ls? Lt? Lm? etc? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ls? Lt? Lm? etc?   Ls? Lt? Lm? etc? EmptyThu Apr 14, 2011 4:10 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Losk-lJ_s7I&feature=related

just an example of what an ecotec can do with the right parts and right work in it
Back to top Go down
http://SocalEcotecs.forumotion.net
I.Scrape

I.Scrape

Ls? Lt? Lm? etc? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ls? Lt? Lm? etc?   Ls? Lt? Lm? etc? EmptyThu Apr 14, 2011 3:43 pm

Mofofernando wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Losk-lJ_s7I&feature=related

just an example of what an ecotec can do with the right parts and right work in it

iirc, i saw a handbook for the LSJ engines on something like "How to reach 1000hp"

no joke.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Ls? Lt? Lm? etc? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ls? Lt? Lm? etc?   Ls? Lt? Lm? etc? Empty

Back to top Go down

Ls? Lt? Lm? etc?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Tuners Of Los Angeles :: Tech Talk :: Domestic-
Jump to: