Tuners Of Los Angeles
Welcome to TLA! If you are a new user be sure to check the TLAID Database for your TLA Identification Number! This can be used to meet new drivers on the street as well as score discounts from some of the local performance shops and vendors! Thank you.
Tuners Of Los Angeles
Welcome to TLA! If you are a new user be sure to check the TLAID Database for your TLA Identification Number! This can be used to meet new drivers on the street as well as score discounts from some of the local performance shops and vendors! Thank you.
Tuners Of Los Angeles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for all the tuner drivers and enthusiasts from the Los Angeles County area and our neighboring cities.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Anyone know how to set up a sound system?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Displacement

Displacement

Anyone know how to set up a sound system? Empty
PostSubject: Anyone know how to set up a sound system?   Anyone know how to set up a sound system? EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 9:33 pm

I plan on getting one for the wagon soon, but, I don't really know anything much about them.

Help would be great!
Back to top Go down
I.Scrape

I.Scrape

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know how to set up a sound system?   Anyone know how to set up a sound system? EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 10:14 pm

my dad does.. he says he hooked up some home speakers to his friends cressy back in the days.. LOL
Back to top Go down
Displacement

Displacement

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know how to set up a sound system?   Anyone know how to set up a sound system? EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 10:41 pm

Lol would he be down to hook up my cressy?
Back to top Go down
I.Scrape

I.Scrape

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know how to set up a sound system?   Anyone know how to set up a sound system? EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 10:42 pm

Displacement wrote:
Lol would he be down to hook up my cressy?

i think so.
Back to top Go down
Gumby29

Gumby29

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know how to set up a sound system?   Anyone know how to set up a sound system? EmptyWed Jun 22, 2011 3:50 am

exactly what do you want done - components, amps, subs, etc..?
Back to top Go down
Aleksey
Admin
Aleksey

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know how to set up a sound system?   Anyone know how to set up a sound system? EmptyWed Jun 22, 2011 4:42 am

Gumby29 wrote:
exactly what do you want done - components, amps, subs, etc..?

Welcome to the forums Gumby! Just thought I would throw that out there.
Back to top Go down
http://www.wix.com/alekseyroyt/ardesigns
Displacement

Displacement

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know how to set up a sound system?   Anyone know how to set up a sound system? EmptyWed Jun 22, 2011 8:37 pm

Well the fact that Its an 81 with a factory system, I am thinking the whole thing.

So far my idea is components front and rear seats with a 5 channel or something amp
and 2 10s with their own amp in the trunk. and a new head unit.
Back to top Go down
Derke

Derke

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know how to set up a sound system?   Anyone know how to set up a sound system? EmptyWed Jun 22, 2011 8:47 pm

I've wired up a DVD headunit to the subs/speakers my car came with.. soldering and such is pretty easy, don't let electrical shops beat you to death with their rates. Might wanna get a bad ass new battery though, my buddy had to get two after his bumps started making his headlight output dim..
Back to top Go down
Displacement

Displacement

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know how to set up a sound system?   Anyone know how to set up a sound system? EmptyWed Jun 22, 2011 11:58 pm

Ye, I plan on getting a nice fresh interstate when this one dies, but for now the Bosch in the car look healthy, and a easy start every time.

I know how to solder to, its just the whole cross over business and finding out which pieces go with what and how to mount it all in my car and run wiring between each other I has the problem with.

I've installed some speakers 6.5 with tweeters components and 6x4 in the rear.

But this system is on another level.

Or at least its gonna be Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Derke

Derke

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know how to set up a sound system?   Anyone know how to set up a sound system? EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 12:22 am

Well, look and see if scosche or metra makes a harness for the headunit yer gonna get for your car. That'd take all the work out of the headunit. Otherwise, find the harness/wire diagram for your car's audio. You can match those wires with the headunit harness, and subs and amp you get. I know my car had two power wires coming from the interior: one that gave constant power, and one that powered when the key was in the ignition. Obviously know the difference Razz. You can take the pins out o the harness and redo the wires altogether if your older system isn't clicking with the newer stuff.

Since your car's older.. you may just have to run fresh wires from the battery (or from a safe power wire coming from the battery) to power the amp and subs? My battery is in the trunk, making stuff like this easier. You'll need to run wires all the way to the front (prolly under the interior trim pieces) to power the amp in the back (don't recommend tapping into another wire, since it's guaranteed to have a fuse on it that'll blow when you power your amp). Make sure the battery can take it, because it sounds like a possible issue. The more power draw from your sound system, the more drain from the battery. If you exceed it, no car start. Or, your battery's life is very very much shorter than it was before. My buddy has three 12" subs.. he added a second battery just for the subs in the trunk hahaha

But yes.. crossover is a pain. Find that wiring diagram! It'll make everything easier. Or at least doable.

Protip: Get everything new. Making old and new work together is a pain.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know how to set up a sound system?   Anyone know how to set up a sound system? Empty

Back to top Go down

Anyone know how to set up a sound system?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Tuners Of Los Angeles :: How To :: Electrical-
Jump to: